Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, August 7, 2006

Info Post
"A Matter of Trust: Asa On Beebe's Credibility Problem" by Asa Hutchinson, Guest Column, Arkansas Times (8/3/06):

On a full range of issues - from taxes to education to the question of life - Mr. Beebe has been evasive, vague and less than forthright with the voters of Arkansas. At times, he seems to be outright contradictory, saying one thing to one group and another thing to another group if he thinks it will win him votes. ... When the Arkansas Times revealed that Mr. Beebe had met with an organization of gay Democrats, behind closed doors, and promised to support gay foster parenting, Mr. Beebe subsequently denied it. ...

These are not the actions of a leader who remains true to his supporters or to his promises. And it's a pattern that has emerged again and again .... For instance, both my opponent and I claim that we want to eliminate the grocery tax. Mr. Beebe had 20 years to take action, and it never got done. Just a few years ago, he campaigned to keep this very tax on the books. Why the election-year shift? And can we truly expect Mr. Beebe to hold true to this election-year commitment if elected?

... my opponent ... falsely asserted that I had opposed the minimum wage increase in Arkansas. Mr. Beebe knows this is patently false, and yet he sent out a mass mailing to thousands of Arkansas voters to try to deceive them about my record. One thing that distinguishes me from my opponent is that I will not make certain promises to one segment of the community, and then make conflicting promises to others. I will not dodge and attempt to hide my positions. I will not make policy to please this special interest or that powerful lobbyist. My door will always be open, and I will govern based on my campaign promises as well as the views, advice and suggestions of all Arkansans. That?s the type of governor Arkansas deserves, and the type I intend to be. Asa for Governor

0 comments:

Post a Comment