Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, April 11, 2011

Info Post
Editor's Note: “Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up” (James 4:10). A humble man does not take pride in his holiness but understands how far short he falls. Read the following words from a humble man.

Mark Darr
"A Humble Man"
Photo by Bill Smith
by Arkansas Lt. Governor Mark A. Darr: Looking back over this legislative session, my first session, I cannot help but think of election night. It is a blur now that seems like yesterday, but also feels like an eternity ago. I had driven over 90,000 miles in my Chevrolet truck over the previous two years. I had been through parts of Arkansas that I had never been to before, but I found it all enjoyable and very reflective.

Three days after the election I said goodbye to the truck and bought a new one. This time I bought a Ford (you may have seen its picture on a local blog – that said I was speeding). I did most of my dealings over the phone or via text messaging. The deal was done and I was on my way to pick up the truck. My head was still spinning over the election and the close victory. I’m not going to lie - I was pretty pumped about being the newly elect lieutenant governor. When I got to the dealership, there was my truck – right out front with red, white, and blue balloons on it. The staff was there awaiting my arrival, standing by the truck in suits, and I could tell when I drove up that it was just because I was the new lieutenant governor. Wow, I must’ve been pretty important. As I got out of the car, I thanked them and said that they didn’t have to throw such a fuss over me. Their response – “We are honored to have you buy your car here, Governor Halter”. Yes that’s right, they didn’t even know who I was. Such an experience puts you back in your place real quick.

Elected officials have a tendency to think we are king of our own castles. We think we are more important than we actually are. The other day I was eating lunch in a local restaurant close to the Capitol, one that is normally filled with elected officials, bloggers, lobbyists, etc. As I was leaving to get back for the afternoon session I walked by a table of six. Four of the people got up to greet me. The other two didn’t. My concern wasn’t really who the four that got up were but who were the other two? I heard one of them say to the other, ”I don’t have a clue who he is.” I loved it.

I didn’t like the fact that these gentlemen didn’t know who I was or what position I held, but I liked their honesty. They thought that they spoke in a tone that I couldn’t hear, so they were not trying to be rude. What I did like was the reality that I am not as important as I sometimes feel. I think most elected officials, whether its local, state or national have a tendency to get lost in the pomp and circumstance of people hanging on their every word. They end up forgetting where they came from and why they ran in the first place.

Over this past session, I can say that I am pleasantly surprised with the professionalism of most of the elected officials I have encountered. As with every session, there are some rather partisan issues such as redistricting that have created some divisions and that is unfortunate. Heck, there was even one legislator that attempted to eliminate the position of lieutenant governor altogether. It is times like these when elected officials need to remember that they are not sent to the job for themselves and for their party but for the people of Arkansas.

At the end of the day, we are Arkansans.

Tags: Arkansas, Lt. Governor, Mark Darr, We are Arkansans, Arkansans, humble man, humble To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the ARRA News Service. Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment