Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, May 18, 2008

Info Post
Bill Smith, ARRA Editor: Note the word Fathers' in the title of this post is not an error - read on... Yesterday, was Armed Forces Day. Although the day passed quietly and I was able to get some yard work done. One project was repairing an outdoor craft made by my Dad. He has been gone for several years now. Fixing the item gave me time to reflect on him. I had two fathers in my life both of whom served in WWII. My birth father served in the European Theater and even won the Silver Star in the Battle of the Bulge. But the war took much from him and after I was born he could not care responsibly for me. Eventually, he lost me. Fortunately, within a couple years I adopted by my Dad and Mom. My dad became my true father. He too had served in World War II but in the Pacific Theater. He shared with me over the years the love of country and commitment to duty, honor and country. When I was 19 and newly married, my country invited me (or should I say drafted me) to the war of my time period. I stepped forward and served in the Air Force for over 22 years before retiring. And my wife although not in uniform served along with me as she raised our sons while their dad was often gone.

As I reflected back on my fathers who are both now with their former comrades in eternity, I also remembered those remaining WW II and Korean veterans who are fast leaving our presence. I hope you will also remember them by listening to the following tribute Before You Go. And if you are a veteran of any time period or if you are currently serving, Thank You! A fellow vet.

Tags: Armed Forces Day, Before You Go, Bill Smith, veterans To share or post to your site, click on "Post Link". Please mention / link to the ARRA News Service. Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment